Our History

     

OVER 70 YEARS OF GOLF STORIES

Pinebrook Golf and Country Club is now recognized as one of the premier private golf courses in Calgary. Our beginnings, however, were quite different from what you see today, as we evolved over the years through changes in name, course design, clubhouse, and ownership.

The origins of our land can actually be traced back to 1886 when Lieutenant Colonel Ernest G. May first arrived in what was then the District of Alberta in the Northwest Territories of Canada. Newly arrived from England, May was looking for land on which to build a home for his fiancĂ©, Eliza Mary Paice, who waited in England. Finding some beautiful property near Springbank that had many trees, a creek, and a stunning view of the mountains, May quickly sent for Miss Eliza. She and Ernest were married, and together they filed a claim to purchase the land from the Hudson’s Bay Company. The very same land on which Pinebrook now sits! A house was built and a family started as the May’s settled down in this rugged new land.

It was one of Ernest and Eliza’s three children, Roderick, or Major ‘Dick’ May as he became known during his World War I service, who began building the original golf course on the property in 1947, calling his new creation the “Mayview Golf Course”. He also built a bandstand, buildings, and picnic area along the river valley, which became known as Sundance Picnic Grounds, but his dreams for improving the golf course were never realized as he became severely handicapped by arthritis and confined to a wheelchair.

Dick May never married, and being lonesome at times for companionship and conversation, he spoke of his dreams and aspirations for the golf course to his closest neighbor, Wilbur Griffith.

Dick May passed away in 1965 without having completed the golf course of his dreams. He left the property to his two nephews in British Columbia who came out to Alberta, but the two had little interest in the property and the course became badly run down. When the nephews decided to sell the property in 1968, Wilbur Griffith, remembering his neighbor's dreams for the course, decided to buy and completely rebuild it, giving it the new name of "Pinebrook Golf & Winter Club". Wilbur hired a golf course architect in 1973, the course was completed in 1975, and in March of that year, Clayton Robb was the first staff member hired as Head Golf Professional.

The Pinebrook Golf & Winter Club was owned and operated by Wilbur Griffith until 1980, when it was purchased by its members and the name changed to the “Pinebrook Golf and Country Club”.

Pinebrook is gender neutral and owned by 500 shareholders, with an elected Board of Directors ensuring fiscal responsibility with a goal to create great service to the members. Pinebrook's members are the club's most important asset and contribute to its friendly culture.

Pinebrook offers a championship 18-hole golf course accompanied with great practice facilities and a full service Golf Shop. With outstanding member dining facilities, Pinebrook is able to host meetings and events for 10 to 200 guests. 

Pinebrook exists because a group of like-minded, friendly people chose to form a better club. We are happy to invite you to BELONG HERE!